Mercury is the planetary ruler of intellect. Anything involved with thinking, speaking, and logic will be influenced by Mercurial energy. While it isn’t as exciting as a planet like Jupiter or Saturn, Mercury is an important planet. It’s close orbit around the sun means it is incredibly active. It also influences us seamlessly because our mind is what we are using to observe our reality. Our experience of other planets even gets filter through Mercury!
The planet Mercury is named after the Roman god of the same name. Another name you might know him by is Hermes, The Messenger of the gods. The relation here is our mind is the “messenger” of our higher self. Every flash of insight you have is Mercury delivering you a message.
With his close proximity to the Sun, Mercury is constantly changing signs. In fact, Mercury can never be more than one sign away from the Sun. If someone tells you their Sun is in Libra but their Mercury is in Leo, you know they have the wrong information! Because he is changing signs so often our thought process is always shifting.
At the time of this article, Mercury will have just moved into Scorpio. A Scorpio Mercury placement denotes someone who can easily become obsessed. While transiting Scorpio, everyone will find themselves becoming a little more “dedicated” to learning. Our intellectual focus narrows to just a few things. During this short period of time, we can learn more than we have in months prior!
So what about the other transits?
- Aries transit makes us more impulsive and hasty in our thinking. We are likely to change our opinions quickly and start new projects. However, we drop them just as quickly as we started.
- Taurus transit makes us more consistent in whatever we are learning. We are likely to hold our opinions, maybe past the point of it doing any good. Although, whatever we commit to, we will see through till the end.
- Gemini is a ruler of Mercury, so this transit makes us very curious. You might feel restlessness. Learning and trying new things will be important. Even for the most Fixed of natal charts.
- Cancer transits make us more empathetic. The information we seek usually relates to other people as opposed to facts. Our opinions become subjective and depend entirely on how we feel.
- Leo transit make us more utilitarian. Our mental efforts are for the betterment of others. Or at least for the betterment of those we care about. Mercury is in it’s fall and tends to care less about facts or ‘truths’.
- Virgo is the other ruler of Mercury. During this transit we become very detail oriented. Small imperfections are going to seem significantly more important. A lot of people will probably feel out of balance with this placement. Of course, it’s all dependent on your natal mercury.
- Libra transit is less information focused and more people focused. We tend to find the middle ground between opinions and not commit too much to one way of thinking. It’s very harmonizing and less conflict prone.
- See above for Scorpio.
- Sagittarius transit is rigid because Mercury is in his detriment. We tend to be very stubborn in our viewpoints. Similar to Leo, we care less about facts and more about how those facts serve us. This can be a very dogmatic transit.
- Capricorn transit is very grounding. Our mental faculties are applied in a practical way with a clear goal in mind. There isn’t as much concern for abstractions or theory. It’s about how we can use our knowledge to further our goals.
- Aquarius transit is very potent because this is where Mercury is exalted. Flashes of insight become the norm. It can also be a restless phase though if you don’t have the appropriate outlet.
- Pisces transit is the other detriment placement for Mercury. We think too abstractly with this transit. We likely missing out on real world applications. It is good for artistic endeavors but don’t expect to uncover any universal laws.
How do we Integrate Mercury?
Mercury is crucial for personal development. Unlike the powerful energy of the outer planets, there is almost no “wrong” way to use Mercurial energy. The goal is always to be conscious of your actions. If your mind isn’t engaged then Mercury isn’t involved. Everything we experience is filtered through our natal/progressed Mercury.
However, the stream of consciousness is not linear. For example, one night you get really drunk and black out. You wake up the next and only remember pieces of it. During the night, you weren’t conscious of your actions, but the next morning understood the seriousness of that. You decide to not drink as much next time. The experience of blacking out, while unconscious during that time, still influenced your consciousness in totality.
The other way to integrate Mercurial energy is to use your brain more. Applying your mental faculties during each transit and overall learning more. This imbues our mind with the element of Air, which also represents our mind. Being curious keeps the channel open for this energy to flow in.
Learning how to integrate Mercury transits requires understanding your natal Mercury. Initially, you can use a google search. Although to really grasp it, you will need to understand the aspects it makes and the relationship the natal sign has to the transit sign. The short route to doing this is to get a professional astrologer. Although learning it yourself can be fun too!
Additionally, if you’re not sure when the Mercury transits are, my weekly newsletter address all of the planetary movements!
To my fellows, may your seeking be fruitful and your findings bountiful!